Thursday, May 22, 2008

Why the Delay

As you may have noticed, there have been long intervals between each of my blog posts of late. While this is partially due to classes, homework, projects, etc., my delay is due to an issue which has been pressing my mind. It is an issue which I have been long pondering and which I haven't quite come to answer. An issue which I have been long trying to find the answer to and which I think will end with me composing a long and detailed paper on my word processor. What is this issue you may wonder?

Ah, the issues of the world today. Our world seems to be in a continuous downhill state what with wars, politics, abortion, euthanasia, conflict between individuals, etc. Yet, my thought process follows none of these, except it does. Because the issue that I am thinking of can quite possibly be the core or at least very much in the midst of many of the world's dilemmas.

So, what is the issue? A dear friend once told me, "Sometimes, it is essential that you be blunt. You can say, "I really don't know how to say this, but you tend to be _____". So now I finally come to the issue, except I really don't know if it's an issue. But I'll come to that in the paper. So let me just state the issue as is. Bluntly.

RELATIONSHIPS

What to think of them? How does one enter into a relationship? How do we interpret them? Is a relationship simply romantic? Can a man and a woman be true friends without everyone jumping on their case? When people playfully tease two friends, can it be the cause of these two later developing a relationship down the road? What are the different kinds of relationships? Etc., etc., etc. Here's a monster to tackle: What is true love?

These are the kinds of questions that stream through my mind almost endlessly. Which I desperately need to let loose on my word processor, before I am overwhelmed. But I can't right now. Why not? Because I have to write an eight page research paper (which I think will end up being longer), develop a website, write another paper (a.k.a. my final for my production class), the day to day homework that never ceases to exist, two more weeks of class, and finals week. This is all happening in the next three weeks. May God help me to persevere and triumph through it all. (I have all the hope in the world that He will.)

I hope that after I write this work and edit it to some degree, I can post it in increments on this here blog. Stay tuned!

4 comments:

The Sojourner said...

Considering my current circumstances I am more than a little interested in the answer to your bolded question. I would be posting more on this topic on my own blog, except it is hard to reflect on something when you are in the midst of it--most of my thoughts on true love are getting hand-written and sent to a certain person's house. :) In short, I look forward very much to the coming discussion.

Anonymous said...

This really smart guy I know has a good explanation of what true love is. His name is St. Paul, and it can be found written in his letter to the Corinthians (Chapter 13, to be exact).

We just need to remember that true love is applicable whether it is in a "romantic" way, or not. Yeah, your emotions may predispose us act in a way that seems to be that of "true love"...but it is not so until it is completely selfless and self-giving.

So please don't fall in the trap of thinking of "romantic love" as "true love". :)

Andi said...

Oh,I completely agree. I would never base true love off of emotions.

Shakespeare's Cobbler said...

Heh heh. True romantic love is simply true love applied in a certain way, I say. And it isn't based off the emotions, the emotions are based off it. That's my opinion. However, a lot of people don't look at romance that way, and that's why I used to scorn romance. So while on the one hand it's a trap to think romance as most people view it is true love, on the other it's erroneous to think that romantic love as it should be isn't true love -- it isn't the only form of true love, but it certainly is a form of it.

I think so because while one could argue that romantic love isn't true love but true love needs to be somehow in the romantic love to make it truly worthy, if you ask me that pretty much means that romantic love without true love is petty and thus we might as well say that real romantic love only truly even exists when true love is in it. I would argue so based on my understanding that the term love only truly applies to something noble and non-petty, and other things that seem like love but are mere emotion or whatever are, well, mere emotion.

Um, was that comprehendible, or should I try to be more clear and less rambly? I've been meaning to put up a blog post on romantic love now that I actually have some experience in it, but haven't because my thoughts all fly around like that when I think about it and only seem to end up, well, rambly at best.

As for relationships in general and especially how to know what to do in your own life, I'm not sure I can speak for anyone else -- though my story is interesting and is another thing I've been meaning to try to write down...