Thursday, October 9, 2008

I Am Praying For A Miracle

Almost every time I blog, it's when I'm sitting on my bed and a cold breeze is coming through my bedroom window. The weather was strange today. When I entered the school building (9:00am), it was hot and dry. Later, when I made my exit, Eucalyptus leaves rustled in a chilly wind and clouds filled the sky. My life since Sunday has been bittersweet. I am praying for a miracle.

Marie Francesca Theresa Breda, age five, had a severe choking accident on Sunday, October 5th during the 10:30am Mass. She had swallowed a bead. The paramedics, despite their desperate efforts, were incapable of removing the bead and rushed her to the hospital. They too, were incapable of removing the bead and decided that it would be best to life flight her to Children's Hospital. Before doing so, however, she needed to be ventilated. They pushed the bead down further, in order to give her air and while this process took place, little Marie went into cardiac arrest twice. She finally arrived at Children's and they managed to remove the bead. However, Marie had been without oxygen for too long. An MRI revealed swelling on her brain and she was put into an induced coma for three days with hopes that her brain could rest and swelling would go down.

Just yesterday, there were major complications. Marie's blood pressure rocketed and her pupils were unresponsive. A catscan revealed increased swelling of her brain and all help of medical intervention healing is irreversible. The damage is massive.

Friends, family, and random families who don't know Marie or her family are all praying for a miracle through Blessed Mother Theresa. (She needs one more!) The Superior General of the Missionaries of Charity Fathers and Mother Theresa's postulate came to be with the family for a day. He married Marie's parents, baptized their oldest, and did the funeral for Monica (age 3 at the time), their daughter, after she died of a brain tumor. He has played a major part in their lives. Mary Breda (Marie's mother) was once a novitiate with the MC and she has a first class relic of Mother Theresa, a few strands of her hair. They have been placed in a pouch and the nurses tied it to Marie's ponytail.

Marie has seven siblings who love her very much. My brother is excellent friends with her oldest brother and last year, my sister played with Marie and her little friends every week. I've known her since she was born.Like I said, my week has been bittersweet. Bitter, because I am deeply saddened by what has happened. Sweet, because of the awesomeness of people coming together and the hope in Mother Theresa for a miracle.If you'd like to read Marie's story and receive updates, subscribe to this site:http://www.caringbridge.org/cb/viewHome.doMother Theresa, PRAY FOR US!!!

No comments: