Thursday, October 11, 2007

Wash For Life!

About a week or so before I came back to JP Catholic, I was fortunate enough to be able to participate in the 2nd Annual Wash For Life. Wash For Life was started a couple years ago by a group of Thomas Aquinas College (TAC) graduates who decided to raise money for Pregnancy Centers in the United States by washing cars. Several of these events take place all over the US.

Last year, I was sadly incapable of supporting this awesome project, because I was moving into my apartment at JP Catholic. So, this year I tried to make it up by spending four hours of my Saturday washing cars in Poway, CA. It was an awesome experience! We had a continuous line of cars to wash and pretty much all of our customers made a donation. We received a couple $100 checks, several $40 checks and there was much generosity going around. One teenage girl who clearly needed to take better care of her appearance donated to our cause not even knowing what she was donating too. I gladly explained to her what we were raising money for and showed her some pictures of the Life Choices Pregnancy Center that we had up on display. The highlight of the day was when we washed a huge semi. I believe it was one of those big orange moving trucks. Another semi driver driving down the road and Mr. Cunningham (who was running the whole thing) paid him $5.00 to keep driving.

Of course, as with pretty much every car wash including a lot of kids, we had an occasional water fight initiated by the one with the hose and we entertained ourselves by occasionally splatting someone on the back with a soapy, soaking wet sponge. I remember a particular rascally someone coming towards me, while holding a very heavy sponge (with water) in their right hand, and asked for a truce. Their plan was to squeeze the sponge, if I was stupid enough to take it.

There are several great pictures from this event, so I thought I would post a couple. The first was taken by my long time family friend/Confirmation sponsor in Oklahoma. I have a link to her blog on the side bar. You can find her through the mystical rose link.


Oklahoma




Washing the Semi in Poway




1 comment:

Mrs. C said...

!!! YIKES

I never heard about the Wash for Life this year!!! I would have most certainly brought my car over for a much needed cleaning!