Saturday, November 17, 2007

Parents' Weekend!!!!!

It's that time of the month, or week, or day; the time to vent about how hectic things are at JP Catholic in the life of a sophomore (namely myself). So many projects (and classes, work study, and activities), so little time!

This weekend is Parents' Weekend; a time when students' parents come from all over the country to visit their "kids" for the weekend. My parents are from San Diego, but it's still exciting all the same. Yesterday, several parents came to observe classes. We all then ate an excellent lunch consisting of croissant sandwiches, apples, cookies, chips, soft drinks, and bottled water. Dr. Connolly gave his infamous talk about the school's three most important aspects: students, faculty, and benefactors. He pointed out with no subtlety at all whatsoever that if anyone had a million dollars burning a hole in their pocket, feel free to give it to the university.

At about 5pm, I went out to Island's with my family for dinner. My brother got the Big Wave, my dad got some sort of blue cheese burger, my sister and my mom got giant salads, and I got the Sunset Burger. We split a giant basket of fries with ranch dressing.

With full stomachs, my dad headed home (he's been working fifty hours a week) and the rest of us headed to Good Shepherd Parish for a talk given by Dr. Brant Pitre and Dr. Scott Hahn. Needless to say, they were AMAZING. I was trembling with excitement when we left.

Tonight is the 4th Annual John Paul the Great Catholic University Gala. Several of the students are going and we are supposed to mingle with the benefactors and have intelligent conversations until about 7pm. At that time, we will settle ourselves for a lovely dinner and listen to Dr. Connolly ask for money and listen to Joe Campo who is one of the head people working for Grassroots Films. We are actually supposed to see one of his films tomorrow. It will be an exciting night to say the least.

Aside from all this, I still have a lot of homework. I think to myself, as soon as I am finished with this huge project, things should get much easier. Of course, they don't. Oh well. This is the life of a college student. To think that I'm paying thousands of dollars a year to do all this homework and take lots of tests. I'd much rather just buy the degree.

That's all for now. The fun is about to begin!

No comments: